In order to help all voters make an informed decision. The Gown has reproduced the section of the ‘Advice for Candidates’ document detailing the remit of all positions. We hope you’ll find this helpful.
- Is Chief Executive Officer of the Students’ Union and its principal spokesperson, representing the interests of Students to the University, the media and the general public.
- Shall chair all meetings of the Executive Management Committee and shall be responsible for the administration and functioning of all meetings of the Executive Management Committee.
- Shall assume responsibility for chairing the Students’ Union Council in the absence of the Union Speaker.
- Shall, subject to the approval of the Executive Management Committee, allocate duties to the Executive Management Committee Officers and shall represent the views of the Students, as expressed through the General Union Membership, the Students’ Union Council, the Management Board or the Executive Management Committee to the University Authorities.
- Shall seek to ensure that individual Executive Management Committee officers carry out their duties.
- Shall be responsible for supervising the commercial activities of the Students’ Union on behalf of the Student Members.
- Shall attend all meetings of key University Committees or shall appoint a nominee to attend such meetings in his / her place.
- Shall, in conjunction with the Management Board, be responsible for determining the strategic framework of the Students’ Union.
- Shall, on behalf of the Students’ Union liaise with the National Union of Students (NUS), the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) and the Aldwych Group.
- Shall, with the Director of Student Plus, be responsible for reviewing the performance of the Director of the Students’ Union.
- Shall effectively act as line manager for all other Student Members of the Executive Management Committee, regulating and overseeing arrangements for holidays, sickness absence and performance management.
Vice President Community –
Shall foster and develop a sense of community amongst the Queen’s student body.
- Responsible for providing a diverse programme of events in the Social Space(s) to ensure the development of a vibrant and all-inclusive student community.
- Shall work across the Queen’s campus to create a sense of Community, working in particular with Schools.
- Ensure good community cohesion and maintain good community relations.
- Shall be the Union liaison with Residents’ Groups.
- Maintain and develop professional contact with local, charitable and community organisations.
- Work in association with RAG in the execution of their duties.
Vice President Clubs and Societies –
Shall prepare reports and submissions on the development of the facilities at the recreation centres and on all matters relating to sport as necessary.
- Is responsible for presenting to the Executive Management Committee and the Students’ Union Council reports on the services and facilities organised by the Union.
- Is responsible for ensuring the availability, insofar as it is possible, of appropriate accommodation for use by Societies.
- Is, in conjunction with the Clubs and Societies Coordinator, responsible for the management of the Freshers’ Bazaar.
- Shall be responsible for the organisation and delivery of training events for sporting and non-sporting Clubs and Societies.
- Shall be responsible for the compilation of the ‘Clubs and Societies’ section of Students’ Union publications, where relevant.
- Shall be responsible, insofar as it is possible, for ensuring that, as stipulated within Rule 8, public statements by a Society have the approval of the Union President and are not contrary to the terms and spirit of the Constitution.
Vice President Campaigns and Communications –
Responsible for the delivery of the overall Union message to its students and the public.
- Shall act as editor for the principal publications of the students’ Union including the Students’ Union Handbook and the official Students’ Union News Media.
- Shall liaise with the Students’ Union staff members responsible for marketing activity, in order to ensure that the Union is promoted in a positive manner.
- Ensure delivery of an effective student focused Website in association with the Executive Management Committee and the Marketing Manager.
- Shall be responsible for communication with all affiliated bodies, in conjunction with the Union President.
- Shall have overall responsibility for the production of the PTQ publication, liaising with the Editor of PTQ and the Vice President Community, as appropriate.
Shall devise a ‘Campaign Strategy’ – identifying priority issues and reflecting concerns of the whole student body.
- Will develop, in association with all Student Officers, a campaigns calendar.
- Will coordinate Students’ Union Campaigns, in association with all Student Officers.
- Will engender a campaigning spirit within the student body and will be the first point of contact for advice, support and direction.
Vice President Welfare –
Shall, insofar, as it is possible, represent the interests of the Students in all matters relating to their welfare.
- Shall be concerned with the general issues of accommodation, safety and well-being for Students.
- Shall be responsible for liaison with the Students’ Union Crèche and other campus-based childcare facilities, representing the interests of Students in these areas.
- Shall be concerned with the general issues of financial hardship, legal aid and shall assist the Vice President Education with regard to academic appeals.
- Shall be responsible for the compilation of the ‘Welfare’ section of Students’ Union publications, where relevant.
- Shall be a member of all relevant University Committees and groups.
Vice President Education –
Shall, insofar as it is possible, represent the interests of the Students in all matters relating to their academic studies.
- Shall produce such reports as may be required to promote the members’ interests at University, local and national levels.
- Shall be responsible for liaising with Staff Student Consultative Committees (SSCCs) and shall provide training, in conjunction with the Directorate of Academic and Student Affairs.
- Shall, insofar as it is possible, be concerned with the general issues of transfer of courses, University scholarships, and study skills, changes in School and Faculty Regulations, academic appeals and careers education, information and guidance.
- Shall be responsible for the compilation of the ‘Education’ section of Students’ Union publications, where relevant.
- Shall be a member of all relevant University Committees and groups.
Vice President Equality and Diversity –
Shall be responsible for the fair representation of all student groups within the Students’ Union.
- Shall liaise with the University in all matters pertaining to equality and diversity and shall make effective representation and input into University policy making with regards to Equal Opportunities.
- Shall be responsible for representing the interest of particular student groups including, but not limited to disabled students, mature students, LGBT students, international students etc.
- Shall work with and support the Vice President Community in executing his / her duty with regard to the production of an events calendar in the Union’s social space.
- Shall ensure that a genuine spirit of equal opportunities and diversity pervades the Union and University, and shall support and represent students who face discrimination.
- Shall ensure that, where feasible, Students’ Union services are accessible to all members.